Dan Miller, author of “48 Days to the Work You Love”, states it is only necessary to be 10% better than your competition to make signifant more money.
Being 10% more remarkable than your competition is going to take some effort but it is not impossible. How can you raise your value to your customers by 10%?
It’s just enough to tip the scale in your favor in the eyes of your customers. Find the point of difference that will resonate with your customers.
Take a few hours and look at the websites of your competition. What are they (and you) doing or not doing that could be improved?
Don’t think cost! It’s not about being cheaper or more cost efficient. Many restaurants and food businesses work off a small profit gap as it is. It is crucial to add value. Coupons are out. Creativity is in.
Have more value in the eyes of your customers and give them that extra “wow” that sets you apart from the rest. You could have a better product or service than your customers but if you aren’t marketing it, your competition will out-do you every time.
- Make your headlines 10% more appealing to your audience’s specific needs and desires: what problems are they trying to solve? Give them the content they want in short, easy to consume bits of information.
- Start an e-newsletter (or restart it). Instead of a focus on selling products, focus on educating and inspiring your customers.
- Interview people in the company or niche your customers enjoy listening to or reading about.
- Do the majority of companies in your niche normally communicate in written content? Try a podcast, MP3 audio or video to communicate.
- Look at what the top player in your niche is doing. Can you emulate (not copy) them?
Remember, it’s all about your customer. Teach. Encourage. Inspire. Educate. Focus on them, not on your product.
It’s like Seth Godin said in a podcast with Copyblogger, “It’s get rich slow.”
Profitable, trusted online businesses will be built on relationships and trust.
It takes some time. Begin to change, to shift your marketing to show your value.
10% is all you need to be remarkable.
Do you have questions on how to change your online business marketing? Send me your questions at email@example.com